AAUP Ranks Harvard Pay Nation's Best

Harvard ranks first among the nation's colleges in faculty salaries and fringe benefits, according to a survey recently completed by the American Association of University Professors.

In the study, which covered 63,000 faculty members in 323 institutions, a committee of the Association graded colleges on two points: their minimum and their average compensation scales for full-time faculty members of all ranks.

The University received an "A" rating on both items. It was the only institution to do so.

On another count, however, Harvard fared less well in the AAUP's findings. Each year, the University spends only $688 per student on Faculty salaries, as compared with Wesleyan's $1626 and Princeton's $1283.

Large Courses

The report pointed out that large universities often have low salary-per-student figures because they hold big classes and employ many part-time instructors at comparatively low salaries. The AAUP considered only full-time faculty members in rating overall compensation scales.

An "A" rating on minimum salaries required a bottom payment of at least $14,000 to professors, $10,000 to associate professors, $7,750 to assistant professors, and $6,000 to instructors. The "A" for average compensation required amounts averaging $17,500, $11,750, $8,750, and $6,600 to the four ranks respectively.

Just behind the University in the Association's eyes were Princeton, with an "A" for average and a "B" for minimum compensation, and Yale, with a "B" for average and an "A" for minimum. Princeton's average salary for the four ranks was $10,554, and Yale's was $9,917. Harvard pays an average of $12,895.