'Troilus and Cressida' Opens New Loeb Center

By Claude E. Welch jr.

A new era in Harvard theatre opened last night.

An enthusiastic audience of University officials, visiting dignitaries, and men prominent in theatre attended a private opening performance of "Troilus and Cressida," first production in the new $2 million Loeb Drama Center. The show officially opens a one-week schedule tonight.

President Pusey, in dedicating the Brattle Street structure, called it "a joyous evening to celebrate." "Many people have dreamed about a theatre building," the President commented, "and we owe deepest gratitude to John Loeb."

The capacity audience of 588 applauded Loeb generously, when the President asked him to stand after the introductory remarks. Loeb, and members of his family, donated most of the money for the building.

For the three-hour performance, an open stage was used, with only one intermission. The 32-person cast took six curtain calls--although there was no curtain--at the conclusion of the play.

Members of the audience agreed heartily with a line spoken by Ulysses: "The present eye praises the present object." At a reception after the performance, professors and members of the Administration lauded the acting and staging of "Troilus," and the architecture of the Drama Center.

"Everyone did an excellent job, with special emphasis on Mr. Stubbins, the architect," Loeb commented. President Pusey noted the "very good selection" of the play, pointing out that the production "was very well done."

Archibald MacLeish, chairman of the Faculty Committee on the Drama, commended director Stephen A. Aaron '57. "What Aaron did was completely remarkable," MacLeish stated; "he deserves very great praise." Shakespearean scholar Alfred Harbage, Cabot Professor of English, deemed the production "very well done, especially considering it was a terribly difficult play."

"Troilus and Cressida" may never have been performed in the Globe. Its first performance at the Loeb, however, seemd to augur well for College dramatics.