Improved Forward Line Leads Crimson To 9-6 Win Over Favored Green Eleven

Ward, MacIntyre Star in League Win

By Robert E. Smith

Bob Blackman, coach of the losing Dartmouth football team, remarked after Harvard's 9-6 upset Saturday that the kickers made the main difference in the game. The Crimson's margin of victory came through a field goal by one kicker, Dave Ward, and its domination of the contest largely through the efforts of another, Bruce MacIntyre, who contributed a good deal more than his toe work.

Ward's field goal after eight minutes of play, the first of his career, put the varsity 3-0 ahead of the defense-conscious Indians. Coach John Yovicsin's plan was to get an adequate lead off the highly ranked Dartmouth defense and then cope with the less formidable Green offense.

With this in mind, the Crimson took over early in the first quarter and marched 58 yards in six plays for a first down and ten on the Dartmouth 12. After two unsuccessful running attempts, quarterback Ted Halaby sent Larry Repsher off left tackle for a five-yard gain, which brought the ball to the middle field and set up Ward's kick on fourth down. The junior kicker split the uprights perfectly, and the Crimson, for the first team this season, had scored before its opponent.

MacIntyre, however, made the real difference as the varsity rallied from a 3-6 deficit to go ahead in the third period. Not only did he punt the team out of trouble at least four times and lead the offense with a 90-yard rushing total, but the senior halfback passed for the first time this fall.

Messenbaugh Receives Pass

A MacIntyre running pass to end Bert Messenbaugh scored the Crimson's touchdown at 10:40 of the third period. In a sure passing situation, third and eight on the Dartmouth 30, Halaby faked to the left with the rest of the backfield, then flipped to halfback Bill Hatch on the right. MacIntyre took a handoff from Hatch and raced to the right side.

He had plenty of time to spot a receiver and eventually saw Messenbaugh

alone at the 15. He lobbed a high, serial to Messenbaugh, who the ball on the five and trotted into zone. On the play Messenbaugh unnoticed by the Green secondary, left end Bob Boyda was just breaking away when MacIntyre let lose.

The quote of the game came from , who commented afterwards at the play: "I try to tell my sophomore that when that end breaks out he's not going to the men's room at the north end of the stadium." Messenbaugh, who played a top game offensively and defensively, obviously had things on his mind.

Line Outplays Green Passer

The Crimson first line, which shouldered much of the blame for the team's previous performance, now deserves full for the important Ivy League win. Terry Lensner, Bill Swinford, Nelson, Bob Pillsbury, and Messenbaugh among others constantly outplayed highly respected Indian forward wall and rushed quarterback Jack Kinderdine all afternoon. With the varsity pass defense still less than successful, the only was that the line could rush the ace passer.

The Crimson's strategy to score first and hold a slim lead almost backfired in the final play of the first half on a play that might have finished other teams. The varsity eleven had just started a now series on its own when second quarterback Terry Bartolet, on his second and last play of the game, was rushed by the Dartmouth line and threw a pass intended for Hatch and intercepted by defending back Dick Marrone on the run.

First Half Frustrations

Successive Kinderdine passes to Al Rosycki and Carl Funke brought the Green to the two-yard line with 55 seconds left in the half. The varsity line tightened and hold Dartmouth to no gain for three downs. With five seconds left on the clock, the Green team formed on the line of scrimmage without a huddle Kinderdine rolled out around right end, was hit by Chuck Reed at the two, but dived across for the touchdown as time ran out.

Disappointed by its last minute frustration, the varsity opened the second half by allowing the Indians' Jim Lemen to return the kickoff 21 yards to the 44. Dartmouth seemed to have the momentum to go all the way during the Harvard lapse, but Pillsbury put an end to all that by pouncing on a loose fumble on the first play from scrimmage.

That was the turning point. The Crimson drove to the 20, lost the ball on downs, then scored on its next series with MacIntyre's reverse pass. ARMSTRONG (40), the Crimson's sophomore halfback, takes a nose dive in the Dartmouth game.

Line Outplays Green Passer

First Half Frustrations

Line Outplays Green Passer

First Half Frustrations

First Half Frustrations

First Half Frustrations