Elis Beat Runners; Soccer Team Meets Penn

Soccer Squad Will Meet Quakers; Teams Tied in League Competition

By Michael S. Lottman

The varsity soccer team will be trying to come back from its most discouraging defeat in several years when it meets Penn this morning at 11 a.m. on the Business School Field. After losing, 5 to 3, to an under-rated Dartmouth eleven last Friday, the Crimson will attempt to get back into the Ivy League race against the Quakers.

In its three Ivy contests so far this fall, the varsity has yielded nine goals--one to Cornell, three to Columbia, and five to Dartmouth. By projection, the table calls for Penn to tally seven times this morning, and, with the Crimson defense in less than fine form, the Quakers could possibly approach that figure.

Crimson Allows Only Four Last Year in Ivy Games

Last year, in six Ivy games, the Crimson was scored upon four times. Those were the good old days. Only one man--fullback Tim Morgan--remains from the 1959 defensive watch; and, inexplicably, he has not been the speedy, steady performer everyone expected him to be.

To add to coach Bruce Munro's defensive woes, Sandy Corteal, Morgan's fullback partner, has not been kicking the ball well in recent outings. And goalies Bob Forbush and John Adams have not been equal to the increased bombardment.

On the bright side, the line has been little short of incredible. Center forward Seamus Malin scored four goals against Columbia, and is second on the list of Ivy pointmakers with five tallies. Inside Dick McIntosh has proved to be an adept dribbler, and Tadhg Sweeney has played well at both inside and wing. Chris Martin and Sam Rodd have overcome early injuries to become effective wings.

The line has been passing well and taking a lot of shots, with the result that this year's squad has scored more prousely than any other in recent memory.

Backs Give Solid Performances

Bill King has done a fine job on defense, but he has been fighting a losing battle. The other halfbacks--Peter Savage and Bill Driver--have turned in some solid performances, as has sophomore flash Tony Davies.

The Quakers are also 2-1 in Ivy play. Center half Dave McKinley is the biggest gun in a small-bore offense, and halfbacks Charley Kalme and Chris Macpherson pace a rock-ribbed defense.

Last year at Penn, in a driving rain, the Crimson took its first real step to wards the Ivy title by defeating the Quakers, 2 to 0. Penn would like nothing better than to end the varsity's 1960 hopes permanently, and a Quaker triumph today would be the death knell for Munro's squad.