Dean Praises Plans to Aid Med Students

A Medical School official came out yesterday in strong support of vice-President Richard M. Nixon's recent proposals for Federal assistance to medical students.

"Nixon's proposals could be of great benefit to the Medical School, as well as to medicine in general," said Dr. Perry J. Culver '37, Dean of Admissions.

Claiming that the expenses of medical education discourages potential doctors from entering medical schools, Culver predicted that a program of Federal loans and scholarships would help meet the expected shortage of doctors in the coming years.

Direct Assistance

In a "position paper" Sunday, Nixon also advocated a program of direct federal assistance to medical schools. Finally, he proposed that the government urge private groups to increase their aid to medical education.

Culver welcomed the Republican candidate's proposals as an answer to the growing need for higher medical faculty salaries. The shortage of medical teachers, he said, could be alleviated by more unrestricted grants from the government and private groups.

Fund Drive

The Medical School has attempted to meet this problem through a $53 million fund drive, most of which is earmarked for faculty salaries.

Culver insisted, however, that a program of Federal assistance would not diminish the need for the drive.