Eleven Will Open Ivy Season Against Cornell Squad Today; Two Teams Struck by Injuries

By Peter J. Rothenberg

Cornell and Harvard (along with Yale) were most people's pre-season favorites for the Ivy League football title, and today's game at Ithaca, the league opener for both clubs, was long ago billed as likely to settle the Ivy race before it even began.

That was before the first two weeks of play, in which much happened and almost all of it was unexpected: Yale has been less than overpowering in squeaking by Connecticut and Brown. Columbia, without the services of quarterback Tom Vasell, showed unforeseen strength in blasting Brown. Last week, however, the Lions lost to Princeton, of whom little had been expected, by 49 to 0, with Vasell (back in action) completing more passes to Princeton men (3) than to his Columbia teammates. (2).

But the saddest stories have been written in Cambridge and Ithaca. Cornell had based much of its hopes on halfback Marcy Tino (a converted quarterback) and quarterback Dave McKelvey, the nucleus of the legaue's best backfield. But Tino suffered a pre-season knee injury and will not play at all this year, and in the first quarter of the Big Red's opener against Colgate, McKelvey broke an ankle. He too is out for the season. As for Harvard, Charlie Ravenel, the man who has made the Crimson move for the past three years, sprained his right knee against UMass last week and will miss at least three games.

Still, if you're looking for a key Ivy game this week-end, the contest at Ithaca is as likely a candidate as any. Even with the injuries, both squads have a lot of talent. A victory here for either team would move it right back in the middle of the wacky league race.

Each team has an experienced line and several fast backs; each is going with a relatively green man at quarterback. The Crimson's Terry Bartolet is a sophomore who made his first extensive varsity appearance a week ago after Ravenel was hurt. The Big Red's Bob Rits is a junior who saw virtually no action behind Tino and McKelvey last year.

Cornell Advantage

Cornell may have one slight advantage today: the team has had more time than the Crimson to get back on its feet. Two weeks ago, the Big Red was soundly beaten by Colgate, 28 to 8, and lost McKelvey. Last week, however, the Ithacans bounced back with an impressive 15-7 victory over a good Bucknell team.

For the Crimson, the situation may be more difficult. Harvard played a dreadful game against UMass last week and would no doubt have lost even if Ravenel had not been hurt. Now the varsity must not only adjust to a new quarterback but come back after a miserable performance.

Bartolet did not complete a pass in almost three quarters against UMass and could not mount a sustained offensive drive (both Crimson touchdowns came on single long plays), but it is hard to say how much of this was his fault. The Crimson line, so outstanding in the Holy Cross game a week before, gave a credible imitation of a sieve.

Even without Tino and McKelvey, Cornell will be a tough opponent. The Big Red has a seasoned first line, averaging 202 pounds, led by guard Warren Sundstrom, tackle John Hanly and center Dick Lipinski, and there are plenty of big sophomores to provide good line depth.

But the Crimson's running attack, if it gets some line support, seems able to match anything Cornell has to offer. Larry Repsher, John Damis and Tom Boone did fine work against Holy Cross, while Hobie Armstrong and Bruce McIntyre scored against UMass on brilliant runs. Fullbacks Jim Nelson and Glenn Haughie have also run well.

The game should feature two good, well-matched ground attacks, and the outcome may depend on the work of the Harvard forward wall. If the Crimson line repeats its UMass flasco, the varsity doesn't have a chance. If, however, the line comes close to its Holy Cross form, the Crimson should win and reassert its claim to attention in the confused Ivy League picture.

The game will be broadcast at 1:15 p.m. by Ed Scoinick '61 on WHRB AM-FM and at 1:45 p.m. by Chris Clark and Pete Townley '60 on WNAC. Game-time is 2 p.m.