Seering Audience Protests Showing Of Film on San Francisco Rioting

NROTC Students Watch Movie Quietly

By Joseph L. Featherstone

A hostile, jeering crowd filled up even the standing room in 2 Divinity Ave. to see an NROTC-sponsored showing of a movie prepared by the Un-American Activities Committee. The film, "Operation Abolition," "communist-inspired" students demonstrating last May against the Com San Francisco bearings. Its aim is to counteract the recent movement some liberal groups to abolish the Committee.

NROTC students (who were in uniform, since the showing was this week's drill them) in a body in the front section of the auditorium. They were much subdued than the "civilian" rear sections, which kept up a steady fire of and cheers for the demonstrating students. At no time, however, was the film inaudible, and there were no incidents of violence.

Unit Deemed Film "Of Interest"

The Naval unit obtained the film--which is being circulated throughout the country by a private firm--from Headquarters, First Naval District. It was under no orders to show the film, and, according to Major Bruce A. Heflin, USMC, associate professor of Naval Science, the unit had "no particular intent" in showing it, except that it was deemed of interest to NROTC students and the general public. (Commander A. E. Brown, the unit's executive officer, however, had drawn a round of hisses when he introduced the film, saying, "the Navy's purpose in presenting this movie is to show how Communists dupe students.")

Heflin pointed out that the Naval Sciences Department shows films--usually training and combat--every Thursday.

Liberal Union Protests

To those who came to 2 Divinity, the Liberal Union passed out a mimeographed sheet protesting the Navy's sponsorship of the movie, and attacking its "inability to distinguish between fact and propaganda."

In addition, the handout suggested that President Pusey appoint a committee to study the abolition of NROTC at Harvard, since the Navy's program "contains by virtue of its very purpose a substantial amount of propaganda and is these fore a threat to the University's high standards of objective scholarship."

The sheet promised a "sing-in" protest of the film, but none materialized.

The overflow crowd was not unanimous. At times, as students cheered the San Francisco demonstrators, or hooted at Rep. Walter, there were countercheers and catcalls from students who seemed more against the demonstrators than in favor of the Un-American Activities Committee.

One lone student holding a balloon picketed President Pusey's house in the rain. On the balloon was written "Repudiate Propaganda in the University," and, underneath, "Hot Air for Balloon Supplied by Hon. Francis Walter."

Later in the evening, the Executive Board of the Liberal Union met and reconsidered its proposal for a committee to study abolition of NROTC. It decided that President Pusey was "not in a position to do anything." The Board agreed, however, to press for administrative action against the NROTC unit's showing of a "propaganda film.

Unit Deemed Film "Of Interest"

Liberal Union Protests

Unit Deemed Film "Of Interest"

Liberal Union Protests