Summer School Plans expansion of Program for Students in Area

an attempt to provide a "stronger of the University's concern the local community," the Summer will this year greatly expand its program for high school students teachers from the Boston area. Thomas E. Crooks '49, director Summer School, announced yesterday.

The School plans to admit approximately 50 students from local high schools for study in college-level courses available in their schools. A similar program, on a smaller was launched last summer and was "outstanding success," according to on the program issued yesterday. A majority of the students in this summer's program will receive help. In addition, the plans for year's operation include the housing some of the high school pupils in dormitories. A common room and a student tutor have been included in the proposal in order to encourage the students to remain in Cambridge after have ended for the day.

a similar program for secondary school teachers, instructors from local high schools will study at the Summer school in order to "improve their preparation for teaching." Programs in foreign languages and American history have been included in the general proposal.

The School is expanding the program. report said, in part to help alleviate difficulties in secondary school-college caused by the highly admissions procedures of many colleges.