Yardlings Battle Andover To 2-2 Deadlock in Soccer

The previously-unbeaten freshman soccer team encountered a spirited Andover squad yesterday and was lucky to escape back to Cambridge with a 2-2 tie. After leading 2-0 with 12 minutes go in the final period, the Crimson their seemingly comfortable lead to one by a penalty kick and then completely wiped out by an Andover with only a minute and a half A third Andover score in final seconds of play was recalled an offside violation.

Ten minutes of overtime play failed to solve the deadlock, and the Yardlings at the first blemish on an otherwise 5-0 record. For Andover, a team has beaten Yale and Dartmouth, it the first non-win in 11 contests.

Sloppy Play

The first period was rather sloppy, with other team able to mount an effective attack. Then, at 17:35, captain O'Hiri finally showed the large what they'd been waiting to see. a pass from center halfback Bill the speedy Nigerian angled in the right and faked one of his bullet drives at the waiting goalie. At the last second, however, O'Hiri fed the ball across to left George Draper, who calmly booted into the unguarded left corner for the tally of the game.

action resumed after half-time, both speeded up the tempo of their drives. Andover goalie Denny turned in a miraculous save a penalty shot by center half Ward, was saved by the cross bar on a head by O'Hiri.

Several other Crimson rushes were productive until inside right Ev fed O'Hiri a through pass at 13:30. center forward out-raced two Blue White defenders and rammed the ball the helpless goalie.

From the beginning of the final period, Lou Williams and Nate were hard-pressed to stop a Andover attack. Finally, Keith Chiappa broke the ice with a penalty kick at 12:05 and the Crimson had a 2-1 lead.

That score enlivened the prep boys, and they broke through again with a hard drive by left wing Frank MacMurray at 16:35. MacMurray tallied again with several seconds remaining, but one of his teammates was residing in the goal at the time, and the score was nullified.

In the overtime, a blast by O'Hiri hit the goal post and almost knocked it down, but it didn't go in. Williams, who was outstanding all afternoon, thwarted a final Andover foray and the game was over.

After the game Crimson coach Dana Getchell was philosophical. "We had an off day, and they were really up for this one. But considering it was a mid-week game during hour exam time, I think we did well to get off with a tie. But this should shake the fellows up in time for Saturday's game with Princeton."

Sloppy Play

Sloppy Play