Police Initiate Crackdown

A severe crackdown on violations of motor scooter and bicycle traffic regulations will begin immediately, Sgt. John E. McCarthy, Safety Officer of the Cambridge Police Department, announced yesterday. The crusade is the result of repeated and flagrant disregard for Cambridge ordinances by riders around the University area, he declared.

McCarthy cited six specific infractions of which most scooter and bicycle operators are guilty. They are: not signalling for turns and stops, not obeying stop and go signals, not yielding the right of way to pedestrains, not observing one way street regulations, weaving and cutting across moving traffic, and parking on public sidewalks.

"From our observation, the traffic problem is getting worse, not better," McCarthy said, "and we have to do something." Terming the violations "a definite safety hazard," he added, "we are not out to pick on anybody, but this program in for the students' own good."

Violators will be tickled just as if they were operating automobiles, McCarthy said, and second offenders will be subject to court action.

Will Ticket Parking Offenders

While not responsible for enforcing moving traffic regulations, the University Police, will continue to ticket parking offenders. Captain Matthew J. Toohy noted. "We will try to help the students in any way possible, but they must abide by the regulations," Toohy declared.