Bundy Scores Liberal Union Cuban Policy

"The survival of the present Cuban government constitutes a challenge to the ideals of the Latin American republics," Dean Bundy declared last night.

Speaking before the Committee on Cuba of the Harvard-Radcliffe Liberal Union, Bundy attacked the position of the group regarding the United States relations with the Castro regime, as put forth in a policy paper issued last week.

Commenting on the statement in the Liberal Union's paper that the United States should declare now its neutrality in any possible armed revolution, Bundy asserted that it would be difficult for us not to support a movement on the part of true Latin American liberals to depose the current regime.

Bundy called the Castro government "Marxist-oriented" and a "one-party" state. He cited Cuban attacks on the democratic regimes in Venexuela, Puerto Rico, and Costa Rica as indications of Castro's "favorable attitude" towards Russia.

Barnes Supports Bundy's Position

William S. Barnes, assistant Dean of the Law School, supported Bundy's position. He stated that Castro has been absolutely "inaccessible" to all attempts at negotiation, and that it has been "impossible to divide Castro and his lettlst advisors." For these reasons, both Bundy and Barnes objected to the implication in the Liberal Union's document that the fault lies entirely with the U.S. in the failure of negotiations between the two governments.

Luigi R. Einaudi '57, teaching fellow in Government, warned that failure by the United States to completely divorce itself from any invasion of Cuba, could in the future, involve the U.S. against its will in an armed conflict. He espoused the Liberal Union's view that the U.S. should "open the channel of negotiation," and begin by discussing the fate of the Guantanamo Bay naval base. Bundy declared this topic was not a good one, and that the current state of affairs made the present a "poor time" for debate.