Clarkson Defeats Hockey Varsity, 6-5; Crimson Holds Lead Until Final Minutes

Twin goals in the last two-and-a-half minutes of play gave Clarkson College a 6-5 win over the Crimson hockey team yesterday.

A four-point scoring total by Harold Petterson spear-headed the Golden Knights' attack. Petterson made Clarkson's first and next-to-last goal, besides adding key assists on the Knight's second and fourth tallies.

The game was remarkably even, and the Crimson's strong showing against what is undoubtedly one of top three teams in the East may well preview an equally close game against St. Lawrence today. St. Lawrence is also ranked among the top three in the East.

Crimson sophomore Dave Johnston scored the first goal of the game at 9:23 of the opening period, on an assist from Bill Beckett. From the corner to the goalie's right, Beckett fired a pass out to Johnston, who made the scoring shot from midway between the boards, just inside the blue line.

Petterson tied the score at 1:33 of the second period on a shot from in close, following a jam-up near one side of the cage. There was no assist on the play, but less than a minute later Petterson and another Clarkson player combined to dump one more tally and put the Golden Knight's ahead, 2 to 1.

The Crimson was behind for exactly fourteen seconds. Dean Alpine, from a position to the left of the Clarkson goal, passed behind the cage to Ted Ingalls. Ingalls relayed the puck out toward his defense, but the pass was intercepted by Tom Heitsman, who shot the puck past goalie Bill Armstrong.

At 10:06 Dave Grannis put Harvard back into the lead with a clear shot at an empty cage after Armstrong had come out of the crease to counter a Crimson attack to his left. Beckett made the pass to Grannis.

The last two goals in the middle period were both scored with less than two minutes to go. One man short after a kneeing penalty, the Crimson yielded a goal to Clark's Bill Little at 18:16, but came back with one of its own at 19:06 on a high shot by Crocker Snow from about a third of the way in from the blue line. Snow had assists from Jim Dwinell and Dave Crosby.

Clarkson erased the Crimson's lead midway through the final period, when LaPointe tallied his second goal of the evening on an assist from Pettersen. With 2:20 to go Beckett gave the Crimson a seemingly insurmountable 5-4 lead on a near-perfect breakaway solo. After jumping the defensemen Beckett took a pas from Dave Morse. Picking up the puck just over the red line, Beckett steamed down the ice and beat the goalie.

But Pettersen, LaPointe, and company came back with goals at 17:56 and 18:32, leaving the varsity on the short end of the 6-5 final score. During the evening Crimson goalie Bob Blend outsaved Armstrong, 37 to 31.