Squash Players Stop M.I.T., 9-0

The squash team started off the year on the right foot last night, trouncing a not-too-powerful M.I.T. varsity, 9 to 0. The Crimson also swept two unofficial varsity-level matches, and nine more freshman contests, making the grand score for the day Harvard 20, Engineers 0.

The team's unexpectedly strong showing against a squad that earlier this season was able to take three matches from Dartmouth indicates good things for the rest of the year. Harvard's next match, however, will be against a much more able team--Army, this Saturday at Hemenway. Army won't be like M.I.T., but it's still anybody's match.

Every player won 3 to 0 except Bob Schwartsman and Roger Weigan, who both took their matches in four games.

Schwartsman's match was probably the best one of the evening. With the score tied at 13 apiece, the players decided to stake the match on the best three out of five points. Each won two, and then Schwartsman got a bad bounce, and lost the game, but he came back handily to take the next three.

At number one, Pete Smith beat Fred Saad. The court and the balls were fast, and both players had to use drives down the walls more than drop shots and placements into the corner. Smith won by 15-12, 15-12, 15-12.

Tony Lake, playing number two, literally out-waited his opponents, just hammering away until his man made mistakes.

Other Crimson victories were posted by Hampy Howell, Paul Sullivan, Doug Walter, Clark Grew, and Alex McDonald. Phil Stevens and Bob Gordon won the unofficial matches.