Bundy Denies Rumor About Specific Post

Although Cambridge rumor-mongers and national newspapers such as the New York Times or the Christian Science Monitor have mentioned Dean Bundy as a likely candidate for a specific State Department position, Bundy yesterday denied such rumors.

However, he is "one of 10 or 15 men" being considered for positions within the State Department or executive branch of the government. "There are 10 to 20 sub-cabinet jobs still being discussed," Bundy commented.

One prominent University official hinted recently that Bundy was being considered for Deputy Undersecretary of State for Administration, a post now held by Loy Henderson. Since distribution of positions has not yet been made, Bundy deemed the rumor "not good at the present time."

Positions mentioned for the Dean have State for Political Affairs or Assistant Secretary of State for Latin American Affairs. These posts have not yet been filled by the incoming administration.

Bundy has spoken informally with "many people" connected with President-elect Kennedy. He declined specific comment on the content of such conversations.

Although there has been no indication when preliminary negotiations would be completed and appointments announced, the need to arrange a smooth transition period between the Eisenhower and Kennedy administrations means the positions will probably be filled by the first week of January.

Positions may have been offered to a substantial number of members of the University and M.I.T. faculties, including John Kenneth Galbraith, Archibald Cox, Robert R. Bowie, Abram Chayes, Arthur Schlesinger, Jr., and Walt W. Rostow.