Sextet to Compete In R.P.I. Tourney

Coach Cooney Welland's varsity sextet will see action during the holiday vacation when it competes next Wednesday night in the Polytechnis institute Invitational Tourney.

The Crimson opens the tournament in Troy, N.Y., with probably its toughest opponent of the three-day round-robin, R.P.I. and the varsity face off Wednesday night in a game that should prove the sextet's strength among the top Eastern teams.

Thursday, Dec. 28, the varsity will meet the University of New Brunswick and the next night will take on an Ivy League opponent, Princeton. The winner of the tourney is determined on the basis of a point total (two for a win, one for a tie).

Welland may skate two new defensemen in the tourney with the hopes of strengthening the rear guard. Bob McCoy, injured since pre-season when he was hit in the face with a puck, will probably be ready to go against R.P.I. In addition, the Crimson coach may use a junior who has played very little in organized hockey. Gene Daly played in the House league this fall and has practiced with the varsity recently. Welland lust might give Daly a shot at breaking into one of the regular defensive pairs.

Last year's Christmas tournament was highlighted by a wild brawl between players and fans and a second place finish to a powerful Toronto team. The tournament, held in Boston, saw impressive Crimson victories over Brown, Colby, and Northeastern, and a thrilling 5 to 4 conquest of the Providence College Friars.

As is often the case with Crimson hockey teams, the 7 to 2 loss to Toronto was due largely to sloppy playing in the final minute of the game.