Cliffe Plans Standardized Room Rates

All Students to Pay Annual Fee of $460

By Mary ELLEN Gale

Radcliffe College will institute a uniform annual room rate of $460 per student next year at the same time that tuition charges are hiked approximately $200 to conform with Harvard's new total of $1,520.

Formerly, room prices have varied from a minimum of $360 for students living in co-operative houses, economy doubles in the nine brick dormitories, and most off-campus houses, to a maximum of $560 for girls living in dormitory singles. Girls living in regular doubles in the dorms, in some rooms in Gilman and Saville Houses, or in Warner House have been charged a room rate approximately equal to the standardized price going into effect in 1961-62.

Bunting Explains Move

"This policy has been adopted because we believe living arrangements to be an integral part of a college education," President Mary I. Bunting noted. She explained that the new policy of equal pricing will free room assignments from financial considerations and is in line with the policies at similar colleges.

In the past, many scholarship students and girls with limited incomes have found it necessary to live in economy doubles, low-priced rooms off-campus, or co-operative houses to keep costs at a minimum. Under the new policy, they will be able to select dormitory singles or larger rooms in off-campus houses without paying extra, Frances R. Brown, Dean of Residence and Student Affairs, pointed out Yesterday.

Board Fees stable

Board fees will remain at the present level unless revision of the current meal plan necessitates an increase, Dean Brown said. Although the College "has always tried to make overall raise in room and board charges the same year tuition rates have been increased," she noted, "student pressure" for a change in the meal program may result in higher board rates if a more expensive plan is approved by a majority of the undergraduates.