Common Room Convention-Viewers Rally 'Round the Television Sets

With the Democratic convention reaching a high point last night, the five Summer School television sets proved very popular. But not popular enough, according to the secretaries of Grays Hall and Dudley House.

In an effort to boost student utilization of the common room facilities, Miss Cynthia Adams and James Murphy issued a manifesto listing the advantages of the facilities. The air-conditioned Grays rooms are open daily from 9 a.m. to 11 p.m. for study and quiet socializing. Free coffee on Sunday mornings--plus the New York Times--provides an additional attraction.

Dudley House, opened for the first time for Summer School students, offer luncheon facilities, locker space, and the TV-equipped common room. Added tidbits include billiards, chess, checkers, and ping-pong. Monday through Friday from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.

For the remainder of the month, the two common rooms in the Union will be open from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. weekdays and noon to 8 p.m. weekends.

Recorded music in the Grays common room will be held during the weekends, on Saturday afternoons from 3 to 5 p.m. and Sunday afternoons from 4 to 6 p.m. Music and poetry listening hours will be given in the Lamont Forum Room, at times to be announced.

Miss Adams will try and play requests in both the Grays and Lamont programs. She hopes to make the Lamont listening hours "like an FM station." The success of the common rooms and listening hours, however, depends upon student interest and participation; both secretaries would appreciate student comments or suggestions.