Hunter Makes U.S. Olympic Squad In 100-Meter Freestyle Race

DETROIT, Aug. 3--Harvard senior Bruce Hunter last night became the second swimmer to be chosen for the United States Olympic Swimming and Diving Team. In the 100-meter freestyle final, Hunter touched out Jeff. Farrell in 66.0 seconds for the second and last spot.

Farrell, who underwent an emergency appendectomy only one week ago, was named an alternate.

The winner, Lance Larson of the Los Angeles Swim Club, defeated Hunter by one second.

Farrell had swum the fastest race of the semi-finals, 55.6 sec., but was unable to repeat his performance in the final.

Another Harvard swimmer, junior Robert Kaufmann, finished seventh with a time of 56.2 sec. Frank Gorman '60 failed to reach the eight-man final of the three-meter diving event, although he had been in seventh place at the end of the preliminary round.

During the past season Hunter set University records in both the 100 and 50-yard freestyle events, and the American Inter-Collegiate record, 48.6 sec. for 100 yards. Only Farrell and Steve Clark, another swimmer whom Hunter beat in the semi-finals of the Olympic Trials, have ever swum the event faster.