New A.F.R.O.T.C. Graduates Face Four-Year Duty

The Air Force has extended the tour of active duty for non-flying ROTC graduates from three to four years. The new program, required of all students entering advanced training after this year, follows an earlier extension for flying personnel.

Immediate effects of the change will be limited here, according to Major Edward M. Lyman, professor of Air Science. The new plan will involve no Juniors or Seniors and only about ten Freshmen and Sophomores.

Although the extended tour "might possibly make it more difficult to obtain AFROTC candidates" in competition with the Army and Navy, Lyman believes that the change will furnish more career officers. The present Naval ROTC plan requires three years of active duty while the Army has both a two year and a six month program.

Wasted Manpower

Increased need for specialization in scientific and engineering fields necessitated the change, according to the recent announcement by Air Force Secretary Dudley Sharp. Relatively short tours of duty have resulted in a waste of trained manpower. The present large turnover, Sharp claimed, does not allow sufficient time for men to become proficient in their service jobs.

The Air Force's inability to make best use of short term officers not only creates difficulties for the Air Force, Sharp noted, but also frequently keeps men from interesting jobs while in the service. For example, the Air Force will not assign ROTC graduates to training in missile operations and maintenance under the present three year plan.