Chem Lab Explosions Injure Two

Explosions in the Chem 20 lab injured two students yesterday. Lee C. Chumbley '63 was treated at the University Health Center for burns on the forehead and arms, while David W. Chipman '63 also suffered slight burns in a separate accident.

Chumbley explained that water vapor present in supposedly dry crystals of acetanilide reacted violently with chlorosulfonic acid and the mixture "exploded in my face." His burns were "nothing serious and will be completely healed in two weeks," he said.

Rodger W. Griffin, director of Chem 20 labs, blamed the accidents on "negligence on the student level" during the experiment, the preparation of sulfanilamide from benzene. The lab manual contains a special note warning students that chlorosulfonic acid is strongly corrosive and reacts violently when in contact with water.

The possibility of such explosions has been pointed out many times. Dr. Griffin said. "Luckily, both students were wearing safety glasses," he added, "or the accidents might have had very serious consequences."