Overseers Approve 13 For Full Professorships

The Board of Overseers has approved the appointment of two distinguished scholars of English literature to the University faculty and the promotion of 11 faculty members to the rank of professor, President Pusey announced yesterday.

The new professors are Morton Bloomfield, an authority on medieval literature, now at the Ohio State University, and Victorian literature scholar Jerome H. Buckley, now at Columbia.

Four young scientists were among the new professors promoted from within the faculty: James D. Watson, 32, a biologist well known for the Watson-Crick model of the structure of Desoxyribonucleic acid (DNA), a long-chain molecule which determines hereditary traits in living cells; Richard Wilson, 34-years-old expert in high energy physics; Arthur E. Bryson, Jr., 35, whose field is missile stability and reentry heating; and Bernard Budiansky, 35, who has studied the structural problems of supersonic missiles.

Monroe Engel '42, novelist and literary critic, and Ulf Goran Reidar Printz-Pahlson, Swedish critic and poet, were appointed as lecturers in the University.

Dutch and Flemish painting expert Seymour Slive, and Sydney J. Freedberg '36, an authority on the art of the High Renaissance in Italy were appointed to professorships in the field of Fine Arts.

Colonial New England chronicler Bernard Bailyn will become professor of History; and Juan Marichal, Latin American culture and Spanish literature, will become professor of Romance Languages and Literatures.

In the Graduate School of Business Administration Paul R. Lawrence and Abraham Zaleznic will become professors. Both men have done pioneering research on the working methods of factory crews.

A professorship was granted to educational philosopher Israel Scheffier in the Graduate School of Education.

Swiss sanitary chemist Werner Stumm, whose research applies to problems in biological oceanography, was promoted to an associate professor of Applied Chemistry.