U.S. Takes Step To `Youth Corps'

The State Department announced over the weekend a plan to send about 150 young American teachers to four British territories in East Africa, as a first step in a national Youth Corps. The teachers will be sent to Uganda, Kenya, Tanganyika, and Zanzibar to help overcome "critical teacher shortages," the Department said.

The plan is unlikely to affect moves at the University to establish a youth corps of graduating seniors to teach in Nigeria. Because only 50 of the teachers in the State Department project will be college graduates without teaching experience, only a very few Harvard seniors might be attracted to the program, according to Francis Keppel '38, Dean of the Graduate School of Education.

Nigerian Program

Keppel was a member of the Ashby Commission, an international group that has proposed a Loan Educational Aid Program for American teachers in Nigeria. LEAP, like the Harvard Youth Service program, will not find itself in competition with the State Department, Keppel said.

One third of the teachers for the East African program will be graduates of teachers' colleges with two years' experience and the other third will be alumni of teachers' colleges without experience.

Meanwhile Lamont Library has announced that, in answer to requests, it has acquired six copies of the Millikan report to President Kennedy on the Youth Corps.