University Will Manage Hellenic Studies Center

A University-administered center for the study of the classical Greek tradition will soon be opened in Washington, D.C., President Pusey announced yesterday.

The Center for Hellonic Studies, made possible by a $5 million grant by the Old Dominion Foundation, will be administered by the Trustees for Harvard University, District of Columbia arm of the University.

The grant will finance the staffing, fellowship, and research of the Center as well the erection of a building to house the Center's activities in Dumbarton Oaks.

President Pusey, once a Professor of Classics at Wesleyan and a Greek and Ancient studies concentrator at Harvard, called the Center "something close to my heart, as a student of Greek culture."

Pusey will chair a board of Senior Fellows appointed by the Trustees of Harvard University. The Fellows, who will include John H. Finley '25, Eliot Professor of Greek Literature and Master of Eliot House, are to devote part-time to directing the program and activities of the Center, and choosing the younger scholars for fellowships.

The other Senior Fellows will be Bernard Knox of Yale, Richard Lattimore of Bryn Mawr, Whitney Oates of Princeton, and James H. Oliver of Johns Hopkins.

The Center's program will accomodate six young resident, post-doctoral scholars who are preparing humanistic or Hellenistic studies. Their term of fellowship is expected to be one year, with the possibility of a second-year renewal. The scholars will meet periodically with the Senior Fellows.

Pusey will also serve as chairman of the Administrative Committee of the Center. The members, appointed by the Trustees, are J. Petersen Elder, Dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences; Ernest Brooks, Jr. of New York City; David K.E. Bruce of Washington, D.C.; Huntington Cairns of Washington, D.C.; R. Keith Kane of New York City; Paul Mellon, founder of the Old Dominion Foundation, of Washington, D.C.; Adolph W. Schmidt of Pittsburgh, Pa.; and Stoddard M. Stevens of New York City.