U.S. Must Not Ignore Middle East, Former Ambassador to Israel Warns

The former Ambassador to Israel warned last night that "the Soviet Union could become mischievous in the Middle East" and that the tense situation there merits more United States concern.

Ogden R. Reid, U.S. Ambassador to Israel under President Eisenhower, told a Ford Hall Forum audience "We cannot worry solely about Berlin and Southeast Asia while neglecting the Israeli-Arab conflict. The outcome could be decisive to the free world," he said, "and Russia is not wholly inactive in the area."

The United Nations and U.N. members acting alone within the organization's charter must be ready to act immediately in the event of a deteriorating situation between Israel and Egypt, commented Reid.

Urges Retention of U.N. Troops

"A reduction in U.N. troops in the Middle East might well bring chaos," cautioned Reid, former editor and publisher of the New York Herald-Tribune. "And Arab refugees should no longer be treated as political pawns."

Reid said that he has suggested to President Kennedy, Secretary of State Dean Rusk, and others in the State Department definite steps that the United States can take to alleviate the "sensitive" situation. He refused to mention in public suggestions that he said he had offered in private.

Earlier, Reid mentioned that the United States could find lessons in Israel's foreign aid and policy towards developing nations. African nations have turned to Israel, said the Ambassador, to avoid taking sides in the cold war. They want to seek aid and advice from a smaller, modest country like Israel, considered more the equal of the African states.

Israel works on basic matters that are noticed by each African citizen--like raising the standard of living and the crop yield--while we deal too much on major, impersonal projects.