Habsburg Heir Urges Broader Anti-Soviet Diplomatic Offense

By Michael S. Gruen

With an adequately offensive diplomatic police, the free nations of the West can destroy the Communist threat, the now arch-democratic former pretender to the Austro-Hungarian throne claimed last night.

Addressing a Boston College audience, Dr. Otto Habsburg noted that the Soviet Union suffers from internal dissent, from conflicts with the satellite nations, and from a power struggle against Communist China.

Present difficulties, moreover, should become more severe in the future, Dr. Habsburg declared. "Although Khrushchev's presentation of a new Party Program will undoubtedly cause a great resurgence of political enthusiasm, this enthusiasm will soon die down as his extravagant promises fall through."

West Gaining Power

Deducing that "time is very clearly not working for the Soviets," the son of the last Austrian Kaiser pointed out that the West, on the other hand, is currently gaining considerable power owing to the economic unification of Europe. But it is minimizing the effects of this power by pursuing an ineffective diplomatic gambit.

Rather than concentrate its entire attention on the military protection of Berlin--a necessary though undefendable outpost--the West should vigorously counter Soviet offensives throughout the world.

Among other proposals of a somewhat more nineteenth century label, Dr. Habsburg urged the West to give economic aid only to those countries accepting western ideology and to counter Russia's Berlin threats with a similar threat to close off the Soviet Union's access to the high seas.

Despite his determination to return to Austria as an ordinary citizen, Dr. Habsburg had himself billed as Archduke Otto of Habsburg and was addressed as "Your Highness" throughout the evening.