Werner Jaeger Dead at 73 Of Injuries Following Fall

Werner W. Jaeger, University Professor, Emeritus, whose great work, Paideia: The Ideals of Greek Culture, was a landmark in classical studies, died at the age of 73 yesterday morning in Peter Bent Brigham Hospital, following injury suffered in a fall. Until his death, Jaeger continued to serve the University as director of the Institute of Classical Studies.

Funeral services will take place Sunday at 3 p.m. in Memorial Church. The Rev. Henry E. Horn of University Southern Church will read the service. Krister Stendahl, John H. Morison Professor of New Testament Studies, and John H. Finley, Jr. '25, Eliot Professor of Greek Literature, will speak.

Just two weeks ago, Jaeger received the first copy of his latest work, "Early Christianity and Greek Paideia," from the Belknap Press of the Harvard University Press. This study, dealing with the vast historical process by which Christianity was Hellenized and Hellenic civilization became Christianized," was used on the Carl Newell Jackson Lectures he delivered here last fall.

Jaeger continued his research in his Widener Library study until a short time before his death. He was nearing completion of a 20-year labor on an edition Gregory of Nyssa, one of the greatest the Greek church fathers, who lived the fourth century A.D.

Over the years Jaeger had gathered manuscripts of Gregory of Nyssa from any scattered sources, and he was working with his students on the great edition. According to his associates, the work--of which eight volumes have already been published or are in the press of Brill of Leiden, Holland--will be pushed to completion.

A native of Germany, Jaeger held an honored place in international scholarship, and his works were read in several languages. He held the International Prize in Philosophy of Italy's Academia Nazionale del Lincei, the order Pour le Merite, which is the highest scholarly honor of West Germany, the Commander's Cross of the Order of the Redeemer and the Commander's Cross of the Order of George I, both Greek honors.