Cross Country Squad Beats Columbia, Penn

Both varsity and freshman cross country squads took firs place yesterday in a triangular meet with Columbia and Penn in New York's Van Cortlandt Park.

In the varsity meet sophomore Ed Meehan turned in a winning time of 27.13 as Harvard coasted to victory 20-49 (Penn)-63 (Columbia). The Crimson's Ed Hamlin was second over the five-mile course in 27.28. Captain Mark Mullion, one of the varsity big three, suffered from an infected toe and a pulled calf muscle, and finished ninth.

Penn runners Dick Fausett and Sal Sierka came in third and sixth; Columbia's Fred Bets finished seventh; and Harvard's bob Knapp, Greg Baldwin, and Don Kirkland captured fourth, fifth, and eighth places. In dual scoring: Harvard 16, Columbia 46; Harvard 19, Penn 41. Friday the varsity challenges Dartmouth away.

Last week the varsity cross country team nosed out a strong Brown team, 25-30. The Crimson has four straight victories in what now promises to be an unbeaten season.

D'Arcy Wins

John D'Arcy won the freshman meet in a time of 16.42 for the three-mile course. The score: Harvard 19, Penn 53, Columbia 66. The Quakers' Bob Rich was second, the Crimson's John Ogden third. Penn ace Roy Reisinger, leading near the end of the race, had a stitch and finished eighteenth.