Princeton 'Tiger' Fails to Escape

A group of Princeton alumni has come to the rescue of humor at their alma mater

The alumni trustees of the Tiger magazine forced the resignation last week of the publication's entire senior board after it had planned to change the 80-year-old humor magazine into a quarterly for serious articles and fiction.

To replace the reformers, the trutees announced the appointment of a board dedicated to the traditional policy of cartoons and campus humor.

F. Le Moyne Page, Manhattan businessmen and president of the trustees, said, "We were saddened and surprised when we learned the old board felt they had the privilege or right to discontinue something of long-standing."

In announcing plans for the new Tiger format last month, Board Chairman Stephen Kroll said, "The whole field of college humor magazines is in such bad shape that we felt a new direction was needed.... The old jokes that made collegians laugh years ago are no longer funny, and a college magazine that merely impersonates the New Yorker has little future."

A spokesman for the Lampoon, "an old, close friend of the Tiger cheered the decision to keep the Tiger.

When asked if the 'Poon would change to a serious format he replied, "Oh, no, definitely, definitely, no, no." The 'Poon will remain a "high class" humor magazine, he said.