Soccer Team Wins Without Ohiri, Easily Overwhelms Columbia, 4-0

By Frederic L. Ballard jr.

With Chris Ohiri injured and sitting out the game in the midst of a crowd of admiring schoolchildren, the soccer team outhustled, outpassed, and outmanouvered Columbia to add a 4-0 victory to this season's record.

Seamus Malin, Eden Klufio, John Thorndyke, and Al Chang scored the Crimson goals.

Harvard made its first goal within two minutes, and was never in any difficulty for the rest of the afternoon. Except for a few sporadic flurries, the ball was in the Lion end of the field for the entire first half, and it stayed there most of the second.

Malin opened the Crimson scoring after his team had worked the ball up the left side of the field to a position about 20 yards from the Columbia goal, sat too far to the left for a shot. Ted Wendell picked up a pass directly in the middle of the field, about 20 yards from the goal, and fed the ball to Malin, who kicked it high into the left corner of the goal.

There were no scores or close misses for several minutes, until at about 10:00 left Malin bounced the ball off the Columbia goal's crossbar. Seconds later, a corner kick from the goalie's right went to a pile-up in front of the goal, where a Crimson player managed to pass it out to Wendell. Wendell kicked the ball back immediately, and Kluflio deflected enough to fool the goalkeeper.

Lions Threaten

Shortly after the second Crimson goal, the Lions came as close to scoring as they were to do all afternoon. A Crimson player put the ball out of bounds, and on the scramble following the corner back, Columbia managed to bounce a shot at the crossbar and then pick up the rebound for a point-blank set-up. But Harvard goal-keeper John Adams managed to trap the ball with his knees, and then threw it clear.

There was no scoring in the second period, although it looked for a moment as though a lone Columbia player might squeeze past the only Harvard men between him and the goalie.

Harvard scored both its third and fourth goals late in the third period. Klufio set up the third by bringing the ball down into the right corner of the field, where he faked around one Columbia player and kicked the ball toward the middle of the field, just in front of the goal. Thorndyke headed it into the nets.

Just before the end of the period, Tony Davies passed to Chang, who added the Crimson's final score.

The Crimson just missed adding a fifth late in the final period, when Thorndyke and Mike Kramer fed the ball to Fellowes Rodd in front of the goal. Rodd's shot was only a foot above the top right corner.