New Dietitian Will Examine Food Quality

Owen Lists Tutors', Students' Complaints

By Bruce L. Paisner

An investigation of student complaints about the type and methods of food preparation in the central kitchen has been promised by Alta B. Atkinson, the College's new dietician.

Miss Atkinson said last week that she had not heard any serious complaints about the food, but David E. Owen, Master of Winthrop House, told the CRIMSON that "many tutors and students in the House had expressed unusual dissatisfaction" with the fare from the central kitchen.

Owen affirmed that attacks on the food have been much more numerous and determined than in recent years, although he noted that "students often grumble about the food."

Eternal Vigilance

"Students are urged to bring their food complaints to the attention of the dining hall supervisor in each House or to the dietician's office," Miss Atkinson said in describing a new "system of eternal vigilance" which she has set up.

The Central Kitchen is trying to strengthen its lines of communications with the students," she maintained, and the dining hall supervisors "make a report every evening of complaints they have heard during the day."

Masters in the other Houses served by the central kitchen said complaints about the food have been about average, but they expressed a desire to hear from students who are dissatisfied. Elliot Perkins '23, Master of Lowell Hose, reported that one tutor has been upset by "an ungodly quantity of hash."

Eliminate Unpopular Dishes

Miss Atkinson also stressed that "it is difficult to feed a captive group out of its own environment." She said that "the Administration is doing the best it can to eliminate unpopular dishes," but maintained that varsity is important.

Students are often limited to just one sandwich at a time at lunch, "because the kitchen just cannot get enough food together at one time to feed the mobs that descend after the 12 and 1 o'clock class breaks," she noted.