Pickets Jeer 'Sing Along With SANE'

By Rudolf V. Ganz jr.

As a full house settled down in the Club Mount Auburn last night for a cozy evening of folk singing billed as "Sing Along With SANE," several hundred spectators slowly gathered outside to watch a feeble right wing counter demonstration.

Pickets of unknown origin marched in circles before the entrance to the club, carrying placards which read: "Don't Let SANE Sell Us Out," "It's Later Than You Think," "Commies and Pacifists Are Kin Brothers," and "Live As a Nation Under GOD."

One of the pickets carried a sign with the words, "Stop These Murderers Today-Polish Freedom Fighters". When asked of the significance of his poster, the demonstrator laughed, "That's a good one." Others handed out leaflets from the American Institute entitled, "Thank God for Polaris."

Inside, they were singing, "One of these days about twelve o'clock/This ol' world's gonna reel and rock." One song leader suggested that the audience try to think up verses about SANE to fit the tune "Hey Lolly-Lolly-Lo." A man in the back of the room gamely called out "Let's be game and Join SANE." They gave up.

By ten o'clock the number of pickets outside had dwindled to four, but the crowd of onlookers was beginning to choke Mt. Auburn St. Then the University police, who outnumbered the actual demonstrators more than two ton one, stepped in to disperse the throng

It was all over before it really got started. Only one student lost his bursar's card, and the television reporters picked up their camera and went home.

Strains of "Michael" floated down Mt. Auburn St. as Walter Wanning, sponsor of the songfest, counted the take. He predicted the evening would clear over $300.