Rodd Stars in Soccer Win

A minute and a half after coming off the bench, Sam Rodd saved the varsity soccer team's undefeated Ivy record yesterday on the Business School Field. With 7:30 left in the rugged struggle, Rodd headed the ball past Indian goalie Duke Ellington for the winning score in a 2-1 Crimson victory.

Rodd's tally, scored off a fine cross by wing Mike Kramer, climaxed a sustained Crimson onslaught that produced several agonizing near misses. Dartmouth's three- and four-fullback defense, backed by Ellington's acrobatie goaltending, held off the Crimson's attack until it seemed that no amount of hell-bent scrambling would break the 1-1 deadlock.

Dartmouth struck first, after 15:30 of the first quarter. Inside and captain Jerry Pepper dribbled the ball deep into Crimson territory, and then sent a crossing pass toward the goal from the right. Players from both teams failed at the ball, and finally Crimson goalie John Adams made a dive for it.

Before Adams could reach the ball, Indian left wing Stephen Chase nudged it past him and into the goal.

After Crimson fullback Charley David single-handedly stood off a Dartmouth charge with two hard tackles, center forward Chris Ohiri not control of the ball 20 yards out from the Indian nets on the right. He maneuvered around the milling defenders until he saw a clear shot, and then drove a low bouncer past Ellington into the left-hand corner of the goal. The score came after 6:30 of the second period.

Ohiri's tally not only tied the game, but it also equaled the Harvard record record for goals in a season--15.

Rodd and Ohiri scored the goals for the Crimson, but the best man on the field was halfback Tony Davies. Davies, still slowed by an injury to his instep, ranged up and down the field all afternoon with telling effect. He was especially strong on defense; early in the third period, he came from nowhere to turn away a dangerous Dartmouth threat.

Goalie John Adams could not match Ellington in finesse, but he showed tremendous courage. In the third quarter, an in-bounds kick came flying toward Adams and arrived simultaneously with two beefy Indian attackers.

Adams caught the ball, even though he was smashed into the goal by his aggressive playmates. If the gritty goalie had dropped the ball, the game might have had a different outcome.

Dartmouth held the freshman squad to a disappointing squad tie.