Andover to Challenge Yardlings in Soccer

The undefeated freshman soccer team meets an undefeated Andover varsity today at 3 p.m. on the Business School Field in what should be one of the toughest games of the season.

With an especially strong backfield, the Crimson has one of the best defenses among the Eastern freshmen teams. It has allowed only three goals in four games, one when the bench was cleared.

There are no Ohiris that the Yardlings can rely on, so the game will call for a team effort all the way. Leading the backfield are Captain Ted Robinson and Terry Winslow. Jimmy Tyng, playing goalkeeper for the first time in his soccer career, has proved a consistent defensive performer.

On offense, left wing Sam Thompson is the Crimson's top scorer, with four goals in the four games this season. He and right wing Billy Hitzig--the team's speedsters--should provide the greatest scoring threat against Andover.

"They always have a rugged club," Harvard Coach Dana Getchell said, adding that over 90 players turned out for Andover's varsity squad this year.