Sen. Saltonstall Says United Nations Faces Loss of Support in Congress

Senator Leverett Saltonstall '14 said yesterday that Congressional support for the United Nations is waning because of the "weakness" of the world organization and its heavy financial cost to the United States.

While his own support for the United Nations remains firm, Saltonstall told Law School Young Republicans, "many in the House and Senate feel that the U.N. is so weak that we should consider very strongly getting out of it."

He warned that unless other nations pay their share of the U.N. budget, Congress might reduce the American contribution for the coming year.

As a member of the Senate appropriations sub-committee which deals with the U.N., Saltonstall said he has tried to keep the U.S. contribution at one-third of the U.N. budget. However, the U.S. is now paying 45 per cent of the UNESCO budget and 60 per cent of the UN expenses in the Congo.

Blames French, Russian Laxity

In particular, Saltonstall blamed the failure of Russia, Saltonstall blamed the failure of Russia and France to pay their share in the Congo operation for forcing the United States into heavier subsidies. It is for this reason that U.S. lawmakers are more resentful of the U.S. burden, fearing that the U.S. will be called upon more often in cases of similar need.

The Massachusetts lawmaker also predicted that trade policy would be one of the "hardest fought" issues in the next Congress.

The expiration of the Reciprocal Trade Act, he explained, will force a decision on U.S. policy toward the European Common Market. Congress may also deal with the question of additional tariff protection for ailing American industries, such as the wool and textile trades in New England.

Discussing civil defense, Saltonstall said that Congress probably will approve an expanded fallout shelter program if President Kennedy proposes one. Previously, "Congress has been cynical" about civil defense, he noted, because so many "foolish" plans had been presented.