Goldwater Blasts Policy on Berlin

PROVIDENCE, R.I., Nov. 16--Urging policy of "brinkmanship" in foreign affairs, Senator Barry M. Goldwater (R-AZ) asserted tonight that the United States must not negotiate the Berlin crisis and "compromise away the freedom of the German people."

Goldwater told the 2500 people who filled Loew's Theatre here that the West's critical error in Berlin was allowing the wall separating the two sectors the city to be built. "The decision to push over that wall would have been silly," he admitted, "but we would have emereged the victors."

Goldwater saw hope that the Kennedy administration would adopt the tough poliy he advocated, stating "Kennedy has stopped listening to weak-kneed advisors and starting thinking for himself."

Discussing the United Nations in a press conference before the speech, Goldwater admitted that the U.N. "might work out a thousand years from now," he condemned the organziation for "neither increasing peace nor freedom." While he said he does not favor withdrawal from the U.N. unless Red China admitted, he urged Americans to "stop the organization seriously."

Goldwater stressed the folly of giving American financial aid to the U.N. to fight an anti-Communist regime in the Congo. "The idea of the U.N.," he asserted, "is not a practical one--we can see that in the Congo today. Nations are always going to be nationalistic whether they like to admit it or not. If someone steps on your toes, you don't write to New York to ask, 'May I step back?'"