Trumbull Wins Grid Title, Edges Kirkland House, 6-0

64-Yard Run Through Mud Wins for Yalies

NEW HAVEN, Conn., Nov. 24--Stymied by a stout Trumbull College defense and a field drenched in ankle-deep mud, Kirkland House dropped the Harvard-Yale intra-mural football championship, 6-0, here today.

After Trumbull had stopped the Deacons cold on the opening series of downs. The Eli's Edward Eagan scampered 64-yards through the middle of the Kirkland line for the only score of the contest, made on Trumbull's first play from scrimmage.

The rest of the game was strictly a defensive battle. Kirkland was able to penetrate beyond the Yalie's 30-yard line only twice. In the waning seconds of the first half the Crimson's Ralph Jording galloped 14 yards to the Trumbull 29 but the Bulls intercepted a desperation pass attempt by Kirkand as the half ended.

Early in the fourth quarter Kirkland had its best chance to score--but failed to capitalize on the opportunity. A punt had pushed Yale back to its own 14--deeper than Trumbull had been all game. After ekeing out a first down. Trumbull fumbled and Kirkland took the ball on the 36. But again the Yale forward wall thwarted Kirkland's ground attack. After the Deacons had been held for three downs, Trumbull intercepted Lee Raitz's pass on the 18, stopping the drive.

That ended Kirkland's chances. For the rest of the game Trumbull used up the clock--with a surprisingly daring air and ground attack. Quarterback Dave Anderson spearheaded the Trumbull drive ripping through the Deacon line for gains of 20 and 24 yards and passed for 21, but the clock, the mud and a pair of costly penalties prevented the Bulls from scoring a second time.