Embarrassment of Drama

Starting this week, a theatre-starved community will certainly get its fill of plays--all in one indigestible lump. For, in a minor triumph of the unnecessary and the thoughtless, no less than seven Harvard theatrical productions are opening in the space of twelve days.

Even in a normal season, such a glut--which hurts both the public and the plays--would be foolish. But it is especially idiotic to be faced with an embarrassing richness of drama in such a lean season as this past one.

Everyone involved is at fault, of course. Without in any way becoming a czar of Harvard drama, the HDC could have helped coordinate the schedules of the various shows. Even a little common sense on the part of each group would have sufficed.

With its relative financial freedom, Harvard drama has never had serious worries about attendance. Still, some consideration for the public is necessary to maintain any sense of community between audience and players. The thoughtlessness that resulted in this week's glut only further alienates the Harvard public from Harvard drama.