Peabody Contends Strong Executive Will Alleviate Political Ills of Mass.

Boston lawyer Endicott Peabody '42 told a group of Harvard-Radcliffe Young Democrats yesterday that he plans to run for governor of the State in 1962 with a program advocating a thorough revision of the structure of Massachusetts government.

Peabody, who was defeated in his bid for the Democratic nomination for governor in 1960, said that the only way to eliminate party disunity, corruption, and the inefficient handling of day-to-day administration is to strengthen the executive power in Massachusetts.

"Historically, the role of the chief state executive has been played down," said Peabody, because the framers of the State constitutions had the abuses of the colonial governors fresh in their minds. Most states have discarded many of the hampering restrictions imposed in the eighteenth century.

But Massachusetts has not done so. It is the only industrial state to retain a two year gubernatorial term of office, Peabody noted. The State's Governor's Council, originally created to check the authority of the governor, now produces an inefficient "government by troika."

Peabody also pointed to the lapse of two or three years that usually occurs before the governor can appoint heads of State Departments, since their offices are not co-terminus with his. "Imagine Kennedy's having to function with an Eisenhower cabinet," he challenged.

Along the same lines, Peabody proposed that the lieutenant-governor run on the same ballot with the governor.

Peabody predicted that the chances for nomination will be damaged by his advocating a strong state executive. Some high placed Democrats will feel "restricted" if he is elected, he said.