Boston Firms May Build In Dunster Area

By Frederic L. Ballard jr.

Depending on the exact location the university picks for its married students dormitory south of Dunster House, private housing companies may build another 320-apartment complex in adjoining lot.

Investment firms have already expressed their interest in this possibility, according to Alan McClennen '38, planning director of Cambridge. McClennen under contract with the Cambridge Development Authority to work on a plan for modernizing a 107-acre plot Northeast of Dunster called the Houghton Renewal Area.

Except for one small plot, the University owns all the Houghton Renewal land which fronts on the river and is available for buildings. If Harvard uses only half of this river-front space for its married students' dormitory, the remaining space will undoubtedly attract private interests.

But if the University takes all the land fronting on the Charles for its dormitory, the lack of river acreage would "discourage" the private firms, McClennen pointed out yesterday.

Other Land Unavailable

Land outside the Houghton area is not available to either the University or Private companies.

No matter what Harvard does, however, private companies will not be able to acquire land until the entire plan for redevelopment of the Houghton Area has been approved at the city, state, and national levels.

McClennen said that misunderstandings with the University at the first public announcement of the plan last he had delayed progress toward this end. The plan may come up before the City Council this spring, where it would need six out of nine votes to pass. Once approved by the City Council, the plan said probably not meet significant opposition in the state or national governments.

The Cambridge Redevelopment Authority would have absolute control over the outside appearance of any buildings constructed by private firms. McClennen said builders would attempt to have the new facades blend with the dormitories' exterior.