Soccer Team Beats Penn As Ohiri Ties Ivy Mark

By Stephen C. Rogers, (Special to the CRIMSON)

Philadelphia, Penn., Nov. 4--Chris Ohiri brought an otherwise routine soccer to life by scoring two goals and leading Harvard to an easy but generally unexciting 3 to 1 victory over Penn today.

For Harvard it was the fourth Ivy League win without a loss, but it could be Crimson's last. Early in the fourth period Ohiri limped off the field with a groin pull in his right leg worse than the one which had hampered him since the Amherst game.

Before he took himself out of the game, however, the Crimson center-forward tied Ivy League season scoring record of eight goals as Harvard won its sixth of seven games. Princeton, Brown, and Yale remain the final obstacles to an undefeated Ivy season and a possible bid to the NCAA championships in St. Louis November 23-25.

Penn was sharp in the scoreless first quarter, out-hustling a Harvard team customed to the Quakers' narrow field. A rough offense and a solid defense the Crimson back-pedalling for most of the period. Several drives on the Crimson cage were deflected only by luck and the alert play of fullback Charlie David.

Harvard center half Billy Ward was the hero of the second period. With less than a minute gone in the quarter, Ward fielded a pass and laced a long low bounding drive past Penn's goalie for first score of the game. Moments when Penn had a penalty kick close to the Harvard goal, Ward dashed in the side to block it with his hip.

It was at the beginning of the second that Ohiri rewarded the many fans who come only to see him play.

Penn had scored its lone goal, fielded a long down-field pass, spun, dribbling around two defenders and let go one of his fabulous long, high kicks, inches above the goalie's hands and inches below the goal's crossbar.

Minutes later Ohiri watched a high pass sail over his head, overtook it on the high bounce, and headed it over the Penn goalie rushing out to meet him. The ball bounced slowly toward the goal, Ohiri darted around the goalie out-running teammate Ebenezer Klufio trapped it in to tie the League record.

No one is more effective than a scoring Ohiri but until he broke loose in the third period, Ohiri was as good as ever less spectacular way. Seldom able to break through a double-teamed defense for a shot, he consistently dropped pin- point passes in front of teammates.

After Ohiri left the game, play was even but uneventful. Penn charged the Harvard goal several times, and on one goalie John Adams deflected the ball against one of the posts. But the Quakers weren't able to score.