Woodward Wins Science Prize

Robert B. Woodward, Donner Professor of Science, has won the first Pope Pius XI science medal for his achievements in chemical synthesis.

One of the world's leading organic chemists, Woodward accomplished the complete synthesis of chlorophyll in 1960 after working on the project four years. "The discovery," Woodward said, "has no practical applications; it is pure science. It just helps us to gain understanding."

This effort helped Woodward earn recognition from the Pontifical Academy of Science, which unanimously voted to present him the medal. The award was created by Pope John XXIII in commemoration of the 25th anniversary of the science academy, which was founded by Pope Pius XI.

In his 24 years of research at the University, Woodward has synthesized cholesterol, langosterol, and cortisone.

Woodward's synthesis of chlorophyll will help biologists understand how this compound enables green plants to perform photosynthesis--the conversion of carbon dioxide and water into simple sugars, starches, and other carbohydrates.