Varsity Squash Smashes Army, 8-1,Despite Illness of Three Top Stars

Niederhoffer Wins Key Match

Despite the fact that three of the top nine players missed the match because of illness, the squash team slapped a resounding 8-1 triumph on the Army varsity Saturday at West Point.

The key match was Vic Niederhoffer's, at number one. Playing Don voss, top man on the Army ladder for the second straight year, Niederhoffer pulled out an 18-17 victory in the first game and a 15-5 win in the second before dropping the third, 11-15.

When Niederhoffer went back into the court after the mid-match break, there were five individual matches in progress. The Crimson was shead in two, and behind in two. Niederhoffer and Voss, both aware that whichever team could be sure of winning three of the five first-round matches would have a large advantage, climbed to a 13-13 tie in the fourth game. Staking the game on the best five of nine points, Voss moved to a 4-3 lead.

But Niederhoffer won two points in a row to take the game 18-17 and the match by three games to two.

Vinton Routs McQuillen

With Paul Sullivan, Hampy Howell, and Clark Grew absent, coach Jack Barnaby moved sophomore John Vinton up to number two, with Doug Walter at three and Roger Wiegand at four. Vinton came through with flying colors, routing Cadet Ross McQuillen in consecutive games, by 15-9, 15-12, and 15-13.

Bob Oehrlein collected Army's only win of the day, over Doug Walter at sumber three, Scores were 15-13, 15-11, and 18-17.