Hockey Team Conquers St. Lawrence; Good Defensive Play Aids 2-0 Victory

By Ronald I. Cohen

The Harvard varsity hockey squad showed excellent form last night as they beat St. Lawrence University 2-0 before 1,400 fans.

The game was hard-fought all the way, and minor skirmishes were frequent. The referees called 44 minutes of penalties, with 32 of these going to the Larries.

For the first time this year the Crimson played first-class defensive hockey. Veteran defensemen Harry Howell and Dave Johnston look as good as they did last year, and Harvard coach "Cooney" Weiland was very pleased with the performance of Ron Thomson and Mike Patterson.

Although the Larries pressed the Crimson hard in the Harvard zone, the defensemen took their time in clearing the puck, and got away some very effective passes to their wings.

Harder fore-checking and back-checking characterized the much-improved Crimson play. Weiland was very pleased with their calibre of hockey.

First Score

The first score of the game came at 7:49 of the first period when Howell banged in a rebound from five feet out. The goal came just as St. Lawrence defenseman Jim Salfi stepped onto the ice at the expiration of a two-minute elbow-checking penalty. Salfi served three more penalties during the course of the game.

Harvard goalie Bob Bland had to be quick toward the end of the period when Patterson put the puck on a St. Lawrence stick right in front of the net.

Midway through the second period of the game took place.

Corby was still in the penalty box at 12:01 when Kinasewich fooled goalie Rich Broadbelt for the second Crimson tally. The play began when Tim Taylor Gary Corby of the Larries came flying into Gene Kinasewich on the boards. The scrappy Crimson player turned around and swung at Corby, and the first fight passed to Gerry Jorgenson on the rightwing boards. Gene pulled Broadbelt out of the net with tricky stickhandling, and neatly tucked the puck into the net.

The close play of the first two periods turned into sloppy wide-open hockey in the last 20 minutes. It actually turned into a contest to see who could get the most penalies. St. Lawrence won easily, but Harvard's Dean Alpine, "the hatchet man," helped the Crimson cause.

He was sent off twice in three minutes, once for slashing and once for high-sticking, after getting into fights with Salfi and Ray Tessier.

Broadbelt made 31 saves and Bland 25. Weiland was very happy with Bland's performance as the goalie earned his first shutout of the year. The Harvard record now stands at 3-1-0.

The next Harvard game will be played at Watson on Saturday against Army. It will be their last game before their trip out West over the holidays. On the tour they will meet the University of Minnesota and Colorado College.

The freshman hockey team will play Northeastern at Watson Rink at 4:15 today.