'Cliffies Seek More One O'Clocks, Plan to Suggest Additional Changes

By Faye Levine

'Cliffe freshmen will make a last, desperate attempt to add to the number of nights they are allowed to stay out until one o'clock this semester, when a class representative meets with the Administration Thursday.

The class committee obtained the support of the SGA yesterday with the promise that that group will strongly recommend the freshmen's desired changes: elimination of the necessity to "get permissions" and increase in the late hours allowed to 40 one o'clocks and unlimited 11:15's.

Now in the process of gaining increased legislative powers through a new constitution, SGA declared itself incapable of taking any action stronger than a recommendation.

All head residents of the dorms last week agreed that a change was reasonable, favoring unlimited 11:15's, permission required until Thanksgiving, and a maintenance or decrease in the number of one o'clocks. They also supported the freshman request for no restrictions on one o'clocks during exam period.

Obtaining permission, which entails seeking out head residents or dorm presidents before every date, was justified by the head residents as a means of getting to know the students.

Upperclassmen in SGA expressed surprise that the freshmen did not want to have unlimited one o'clocks. Many felt that unless the limit were abolished completely it would be absurd to change it at all. They recalled the limit of 21 one o'clocks several years ago, and added that a constantly increasing number was ridiculous.

The present system limits freshmen to 30 one o'clocks during the first semester--27 of which may be taken before Christmas--and 11:15's only when they are going to the Radcliffe library. Curfew all other nights is 10 p.m.