FLY THE FLAG

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

I have recently been surprised in noticing that no-where on the Harvard campus is the national emblem, our flag, displayed daily. It is true that, on days such as when the university receives the Russian ambassador to the UN, University Hall hangs out the American as well as the Soviet and Harvard flags. But where are the stars and stripes when we do not have any such special occasion? I would like to know why Harvard does not hoist the flag every day and proudly too. None of the houses, none of the buildings in the Yard, and, so far as I know, none of the graduate schools do so.

I can think of no good argument to explain why our flag is not put out every clear day. I do not think that it will be an insuit to the foreign students at this university; I do not think that it will be so unpleasant to look upon the ensign of our liberty. If a patriotic argument--that the flag reminds us that we are Americans, that we are free men, and that it symbolizes our heritage of free institution--will not arouse interest in this community, perhaps I may at least contend that the flag represents our highly valued academic freedom. Harvard is an American college, although many seem to forget that fact. Let Harvard then display America's banner. I will give them a flag, if they will only fly it. Tobias M. Goodman '62

THE NATIVITY ACCORDING TO SAINT LUKE, Randall Thompson's new Musical Drama, opened last night at Christ Church. A review will appear in tomorrow's CRIMSON.