Pusey Doubts Size Increase In Ivy League

By Robert E. Smith

Chances are that the Ivy League will expand in the near future, according President Pusey. Pusey said that the eight League Presidents have received normal overtures from Eastern colleges interested in the conference but never a formal application for admission.

The Presidents have never really faced the problem of expansion," he completed, "but I suspect that much reluctance and inertia would have to be overcome before adding teams to the League." He said that the President of Colgate is interested in scheduling more Ivy League games but has expressed no desire to join the League.

Pusey and Dean Watson, Harvard representative on the League's Dean's Committee, said that Ivy officials constantly give inquiries from outside institutions about the workings and philosophy the 1954 Presidents' Agreement. Groups of colleges in other areas have pressed an interest in creating conferences similar to the Ivy League, according to Pusey.

Annual Meeting This Month

The eight Presidents, responsible for the League's athletic policies, convene for their annual meeting this month. They revealed that a proposal for spring football practice comes up each year and that each year a strong minority supports legalizing spring practice.

Although there are occasional rumors at the U.S. Military and Naval Academies are anxious to join the League, Pusey discounted the possibility. He pointed out, however, that the service schools participate with the eight League Universities in formal baseball, squash, and swimming conferences.

In addition to preliminary discussion about athletic policy, the League Presidents also consider non-athletic matters common interest.