THE MUSIC BOX

The Regeneration of Jazz

By Ron Brown

The Princeton and Harvard Glee Clubs met on the stage of Sanders Theater Friday night and almost the exact opposite happened there that occurred the following day in the football game.

Both groups started out with Harvard having a slight edge, and both finished up strongly, Harvard still out in front. It may have been my seat, it may have been that the acoustics were strange for the Princetons, but it seemed to me that the visitors lacked precision and tone in the beginning.

Before the intermission the two clubs sang serious songs. It was here that the Princetons showed their failings the most. The general impression ereated was that they needed rehearsing--their faces were buried in their scores and they consequently didn't watch Mr. Knapp, their conductor. The unfortunate result was that as a section fell behind on the beat it made the rest of the club go flat despite the piano accompaniment. When they sang folk songs and spiritual afterwards without music, however, this failing largely vanished.

Great credit is due to William F. Russell 3G, who is conducting the Harvard Glee Club while Professor G. Wallace Woodworth is on his sabbatical. The Glee Club began the concert with its serious songs sung adequately but without spirit. When they moved to the second part of the program, however, they began to enjoy themselves and their singing showed it. "Gandeamus," College Medley was easily the high point of the evening as far as enthusiasm, tone, and vocal excellence was concerned. Two solos, a trio, and a quartet were mixed into the ensemble in this number, and the piece brought cheers from the audience.