HSA PROBERS WILL DELAY REPORT ON INVESTIGATION

By Joseph M. Russin

The committee investigating the practices of the Harvard Student Agencies "is not yet ready to release a report," according to Michael A. Washburn '62, head of the group. The committee, which is operating under the auspices of the Student Council, had been asked by the Council and the House Committee Chairman to make at least a preliminary report to the student body by today.

"We found that the general problems involved were much more complex than we had suspected," Washburn explained. "We want to take more time before making our statement."

The committee has had two meetings with officials of the HSA and plans at least one more next week.

One reason the committee is reluctant to release a full report is that the Board of Directors of the HSA is meeting Tuesday night. "We have made some suggestions which will be taken up at that time, and we don't think we can discuss them now," Washburn commented.

In its meetings the committee has been shown "a complete breakdown" of HSA managers and their salaries. They have also examined the operations of some agencies to "a limited extent." In the opinion of Washburn, "the answers we have received thus far have been very satisfactory; everything seems to be in order."

Charles M. Warchol '62, the Student Council member of the committee, said the group has yet to consider "complaints about dishonest practices in the HSA." Both Washburn and Warchol agreed the HSA "has been extremely cooperative."

Next Wednesday has been set as a tentative target date for a fuller committee report. However, Washburn doubts that the investigators will be able to release "information that has been given fidential." He promised the committee's to us in confidence and must remain con-"vigilance" to any possible misconduct.

According to Washburn, "the HSA has frankly admitted some mistakes and is acting to correct them. This is an example of the positive results of the recent protests."

Washburn anticipates his committee will turn over "all its notes" to a new, longer range study group appointed by the new Harvard Council for Undergraduate Affairs next January.

"We do not have enough time to go fully into the books of each agency, and this should definitely be done," Washburn noted. Also, he hopes a Council committee will closely observe the next appointment of new HSA managers, to ascertain "exactly what criteria" are used in selecting personnel.