Attack Against HSA Draws Mild Reaction

By Joseph M. Russin

The storm over the HSA raged less violently during the week-end. Most students on campus, after an initial, generally favorable reaction to the actions of the Dunster House Committee, seemed to be settling down into a wait and see attitude.

The Adams House Committee met briefly last night for what chairman James T. Halverson '62 called "preliminary" talks on the HSA. The meeting ended without any action being taken, although members were asked to evaluate the mood of the House on the issue. The Committee will meet Thursday to discuss any formal proposals.

A similar tone of restraint prevailed when the Eliot House Committee met later last night. One member ridiculed Dunster's charges as being confined to "mugs you can see through, some mayonnaise... and a few scratched rings." He noted, though, that the charter flight agency was "to be commended." Chairman John A. Hodges '62 refused "to clamor for heads," but urged that the HSA "give a full accounting of itself."

While declining to issue a formal statement "until more facts are in," the Committee informally hoped that "HSA will soon come out with a full but impersonal open financial report."

The House committee of Winthrop and Quincy will probably meet tonight to consider the HSA situation, and Lowell House is scheduled for a Tuesday session. The Freshman Council may also meet this week.

As the House Committee were weighing charges, the HSA food concessions agency announced a change in its sandwich supplier. In explaining the agency's switch to the Harvard Law Wives for sandwiches, John C. Camp '64, agency head, said "the reason is obvious. The prices we had to pay made us charge ridiculous prices in other to meet costs."

Camp said the change in suppliers would enable the agency to improve quality and cut prices. As of last night, a bologna and cheese sandwich was going for 35 cents, a five cent reduction. Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches were selling for 25 cents. Camp expressed hope that these prices could be lowered further by the end of the week.

Meanwhile, freshmen waited in lines outside laundry depots in the Yard, with dirty linen. Sometimes they open on time; sometimes, like last night, they don't.