Hockey Squad Romps Over Bowdoin; Kinasewich, Taylor Each Score Two

By Ronald I. Cohen, (Special to the CRIMSON)

BRUNSWICK, Me., Dec. 2--The Crimson hockey team opened its season at Bowdoin tonight by beating the underdog Polar Bears 6-1. Gene Kinasewich and Tim Taylor scored two goals apiece, with Dean Alpine and Dave Morse each contributing one.

The game was close for most for the first period until Harvard began scoring at 16:33 Left wing Dean Alpine passed to Gerry Jorgenson at the blue line. Jorgenson fed the puck back to Alpine, who took the pass behind the two Bowdoin defenders and beat Bowdoin goalie Bob Chaffee for the first Crimson tally.

Two minutes later Kinasewich left the fans, players, and coaches stupefied when he whipped a slap shot from close to the center red line. Chaffe had no chance on the blazing shot that caught the upper left corner of the net.

The Crimson sextet struck twice more as each of the next two periods. Bowdoin's lone tally came in the final period.

After the game, Harvard coach Cooney Wailand said that Bowdoin should never save had a chance at the shot that went in. "We were a little too anxious to get the puck out of our zone," he explained.

Welland added, "The team handled themselves all right for their first game. I'm pleased to see them playing as a team this early in the season."

Bob Bland, Harvard goalie, looked particularly good in the first period when he made several saves in quick succession. Weiland was also pleased with center Bill Lamarche and defensemen Gene Daly and Chuck Kessler.

However, a tighter defensive zone and land also felt that "crowding center ice" was a problem. At times passes went astray because the wings were out of position.

Practice this week should smooth out some of these rough points before the difficult Clarkson game at the Watson Rink on Thursday.